B-man and his very proud Mom

B-man and his very proud Mom

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Randomness Run Amok

Today is teeth cleaning day for B-man. He abhorrs having anyone even touch his mouth let alone brush or clean his teeth. I am sure it stems from all of the surgeries he had to repair his cleft lip and palate as an infant. They were painful surgeries with long recovery times followed by twice a day massages to the area to reduce scarring. Which, I must admit, worked. Many people cannot tell he ever had a cleft lip and it was a bad one at that. Of course, having a world renowned craniofacial surgeon helped, I am certain.I have to help hold him down during these cleanings and I hate being the bad guy where he is concerned. I work so hard to have fun with him but it always seems to come back to me being the one that has to do or help with all of the painful or uncomfortable treatments. Maybe that is why he seems happier when his dad is doing his care. Dad can be his safe person, the one that isn't holding him down or doing dressing changes or g-button changes or brushing his teeth each morning. That would be me, the mom.

In all honesty though, I prefer to be the one that does all of these things because, being a nurse, I tend to be the most thorough. The one that never questions, "Can't we skip it just for today?" No, we can't because if we do then we will begin skipping it more often and you know what that means. You eventually stop doing it altogether. No, I never ask that question, I just do it.

Now as I have said before, my hubby is an incredible man. He loves his family and is fiercely protective of them. So I don't want to make him seem like a slacker. Quite the opposite is true actually. He is a hard worker and gives 110% in everything he does. No, it isn't that he doesn't want to do the treatment, it is just that he hates to see his little boy suffer in any manner.

Living with B-man is a challenge in every sense of the word but it is also one of the biggest blessings I have ever been priviledged to receive. Buddy and I are coming up on yet another wedding anniversary and although it is doubtful that we will be able to properly celebrate it as a couple, I do not feel bad. We made a conscious decision when B-man was born to keep him with us as long as he is alive. We were once told to find a good institution and place him there before we became too attached...seriously? Too late, I be came attached the moment I found out I was pregnant! During the precarious two years that followed, spending hours upon hours alone with him in the hospital, only served to further strengthen that bond. So when the suggestion was made to "place him somewhere", I quickly shot back, "He is already placed in the only home he will ever know, ours". No, my hubby and I whole heartedly accept that we are no longer a couple but a trio. Mom, Dad and B-man. To borrow a phrase from a friend of my mother's, "The Three Musketurds"! HA!

Currently in the planning stages is a huge trip to celebrate next year's momentous anniversary. Knowing that we are unable to make that trip alone we have decided to include my mother. Yes, maybe there are a few ulterior motives at work here. Although, she cannot lift or perform B-man's care, she does retire earlier than myself or my husband so maybe, just maybe, we could sneak a couple of nights in at the disco or even a late night romantic dinner on our balcony. Okay, there is alot of ulterior motive but hey, we have to be creative!

Until next time,
~Ginger~

No comments:

Post a Comment